The Viva Cribb Local History Collection contains many books that detail the rich and diverse history of the Ipswich region. The following books are especially useful when conducting local history research:
- The Bremer River
- Coal in Queensland
- Deebing Creek & Purga Missions 1892-1948
- Ipswich Heritage Study
- Expanded Ipswich Heritage Study
- Gone, But Not Forgotten: Ipswich Cemetery 1842-1868
- Ipswich and District Pioneer Register
- Ipswich in the 20th Century
- Ipswich Municipal Centenary
- Jubilee History of Ipswich
- Remembering the Forgotten: A history of the Deebing Creek Aboriginal Mission in Queensland 1887-1915
- Moreton Shire Queensland – Discovery and settlement
E-books on Picture Ipswich
Final Gauge: the History of the Ipswich Railway Workshops by Robyn Buchanan
Ipswich and District Roll of Honour, WWI by Edwin Habben
Newspapers are an excellent source of information about historical and contemporary social, political, business and cultural issues in the local community. A number of newspapers are available on microfilm for use by library members and the public including:
- Queensland Times – 1864 onwards
- The North Australian, Ipswich & General Advertiser – 1856-1865
- Ipswich Punch – 1866-1871
- Ipswich Observer and West Moreton – 1870-1879
- Moreton Bay Courier – 1846 – 1861
- Courier or Brisbane Courier – 1861 -1865
- Queensland Daily Guardian – 1860 -1868
- Rosewood Register & Marburg Mail – (various)
- Super Southsider – 1991-1993
- Valley times – 1993
- Daily Observer & East & West Moreton Advocate – 1879
- Ipswich Adviser – 1956-1960
- Rural Times – 1985-1992
- Ipswich Advertiser – 1981-1996
- Goodna – Redbank Weekly Times/Goodna – Redbank Weekly Times & Satellite/The Weekly Times & The Satellite – 1987-1994
TROVE – Digitised Newspapers and more – National Library of Australia
- Queensland Times, Ipswich Herald & General Advertiser (Full text 1861-1908)
- Queensland Times (Full text 1909-1954)
- Brisbane Courier, Brisbane (Full text 1864-1933)
- The Courier, Brisbane (Full text 1861-1864)
- The Courier Mail, Brisbane (Full text 1933-1954)
- The Moreton Bay Courier, Brisbane (Full text 1846-1861)
- North Australian, Ipswich and General Advertiser, Ipswich (Full text 1856-1862)
- North Australian, Ipswich and General Advertiser, Ipswich (Full text 1862-1863)
Australia/New Zealand Reference Centre Plus (requires membership login)
- Queensland Times (Full text September 2010 – present)
- Ipswich News (Full text March 2009 – February 2013)
- Ipswich Advertiser (Full text September 2010 – present)
Historical information from a variety of sources can be viewed on microfiche by library members and the public. Popular microfiche include – Queensland Immigration index, Post Office Directories and Queensland Births, Deaths and Marriages.
A variety of Commonwealth, state and local resources are also available via CD-ROMS in the Viva Cribb Local History Collection.
Ipswich Libraries holds numerous estate maps for the region. These maps provide original subdivision and surveying information of urban land areas that will be useful for conducting local history research, including tracing the background of your own house. The Ipswich City Council also has information available online with relation to estates in Ipswich.
George Brockwell Gill was an important local architect and the Library has a number of architectural plans for buildings he designed for Ipswich.
- Harrisville Museum
- “Elanda” Queen St., Harrisville 4307
Phone: (07) 5464-6518
- Ipswich Historical Society Inc.
- P.O. Box 295, Ipswich 4305
Cooneana Heritage Centre, 1041 Redbank Plains Road
Phone: (07) 3282-0358
- Pine Mountain & District Historical Society Inc
- 65 Bryces Road, Pine Mountain 4306
Phone: (07) 5464-3827
- Rosewood Scrub Historical Society Inc.
- 73 Edmond St, Marburg
Phone: (07) 5464-4808
- RAAF Amberley Aviation Heritage Centre
- South Amberley Rd, Amberley
Phone: 1800 623 306
Open once a month. A collection of Australian military memorabilia and a limited collection of historic aircraft. Admission is free.
- Royal Australian Historical Society
- promotes the study of Australian history.
- Royal Historical Society of Queensland
- promotes the study and interest of Queensland history.
- Professional Historians Association – Queensland
- A searchable index of Queensland historians.
- Workshops Rail Museum
- North Street, North Ipswich QLD
Phone: (07) 3432-5100
- Ipswich Hospital Museum
- Ground Floor, Jubilee Building, Ipswich Hospital (adjacent to Court Street)
Phone: (07) 3810 1254