Get ready to learn with Lynda.com!
Lynda.com is a leading online learning site that offers hundreds of courses on a huge range of subjects. You can learn anywhere, when you want.
Here’s just a sample of some of the subjects available:
Accounting, animation, graphic design, game design, programming, security, video, and web development.
- Visit Return to Crystal Rainforest to learn the basics of Scratch programming in a fun, interactive way. Scratch is a programming language aimed at kids (but used by all ages) to create animations, games & interactive stories.
- Text based tutorials. Includes: Computer basics, Windows operating system, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, etc.
- Connecticut Distance Learning Consortium
- A basic online skills course covering Computer, Email, Word Processing, and Web Skills
- Excel Easy
- This site offers tutorials to provide any information required about Excel from just the basics to advanced skills.
It has a good search facility so users can zero straight into any specific material they need.
- Goodwill Community Foundation
- Text based lessons with good content. The site is easy to use. Includes –
MS Office software
- Tutorials on a number of popular computer programs based on pictures not words. Programs include:- Programs include MS Office, Web Coding, and Open Office.
- Microsoft Office
- Free self paced training courses from Microsoft. Includes 2013 programs.
- Offers a directory containing thousands of free tutorials for IT professionals, hobbyists, and home users. Their goal is to help you solve your computer problems and learn new technologies using the many existing free tutorials available on the internet
- Wydea Science and Technology
- On this site you’ll find a collection of fun and friendly animated videos and other formats explaining science and technology topics in an easy-to-understand, interesting way.
Mastering the Mouse
For practice try:-
- Watch for changes on the computer screen. Spot the Humming Birds.
- Mousing Around is a follow along tutorial about the mouse and web. Would take about 40-50 minutes to complete.
- Move the mouse over the cheese and watch your score build. You can change the settings from no click to one or two clicks.
- Control the Magic Paint Brush with your computer mouse.
- Games to sharpen your mouse skills.
- Try your skills with the Guardian Daily Crossword.
- Drag and Drop to build Rosie’s face.
Type Faster can be downloaded from this link. It is a computer program that can help you to learn the basics of the keyboard. We will spend some time gaining keyboard skills at the beginning of Sessions 2, 3 and 4. If you have a computer at home try to spend some time between the training sessions developing your keyboard skills.
For more information about computer keyboards try:-